Friday, February 6, 2009

I've seen the light...and it looks good.

When you imagine yourself sending off your 5 year old to Kindergarten do you also imagine sending him with pull-ups and 5 changes of clothes? Up until a month ago that is where I was. I figured BAM would be going off to school with a pack of depends under his arm instead of a pencil case. Many other parents I knew thought that something must be wrong with him or me or maybe even both of us. There must have been something I wasn't doing or something I haven't tried, etc. There was the look of shame and the helpful advice. Not that I faulted them because before BAM I would have been one of those parents. My child was almost 4 and still not toilet trained. It is definitely a humbling experience to say the least.

I'm here to tell you though that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it might take a year to get there but eventually it will come. We've been working very hard to find something to motivate BAM to be fully toilet trained. He just flat out didn't care and there wasn't much out there that motivated him enough to take the plunge. I mean he's been in underwear during the day for almost a year. We set up a tv time chart. Each pee in the potty got him 5 minutes of tv time for the following day. This meant there was no tv for day one. He also only got to watch a movie if he pooped in the potty. He's been doing really well on this system. We've finally gotten 3 consecutive #2s in the toilet and he hasn't peed his pants in a week. Finally tonight I heard the words I've been dying to hear for a year...We went to dinner with a friend and I had forgotten to take him to the potty before we left. We got him buckled in the car and as I was about to shut the door he says..."Mommy, I have to go potty."

That was by far one of the top 5 proudest moments as a mom, and just 2 days before his 4th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment